[78-L] Limited edition Miller

David Weiner djwein at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 19 10:39:53 PDT 2009

A few comments, Mike!

The third one was the Army
Air-Force Band, LPT-6702 and had a picture of a Air Force hat on clouds
on the cover.  They eventually ran out of the padded covers for the AAF
set and put it out in a box numbered LPM 6700 with yellow label
pressings.
----
The "box" edition of LPM-6700 came out pretty early - I have a copy with the
shaded dog "silver print" labels.  AND a booklet.

----------

  The fourth one "For the Very
First Time" LPM 6100 was only a three-disc set, came out in 1959, and
might not have been on 45s  It had a painting of Miller playing the
trombone on the front cover which bled over to a painting of the band
bus on the back.  It was the hardest one of any of them for me to get.
I only got it about  5 years ago.  Although not a numbered "Limited
Edition", I don't think they made any effort to make more of the padded
covers or put it in a box after they ran out of the original run of the
covers.
--------
Don't think it ever was on 45 - would love to find a copy if it did!  I had
trouble finding my initial copy too - now copies are ALL OVER eBoing.
-------------

> The Artie Shaw 5 LP set from the mid-fifties is made up of
> these. Much of the remainder of what RCA took off the air turned up on
> various Reader's Digest CD sets in the eighties and nineties.
----
The Artie Shaw 5-LP box is NOT all airchecks - it is three already-issued
Shaw LPs from 78s plus the live 2-LP "At the Blue Room/Café Rouge" set boxed
together, with a new coating of echo slathered on!
--------
Reader's Digest only issued the tiniest handful of tracks from the RCA line
check holdings - there are HUNDREDS of untouched band broadcasts in their
possession - the Buddha CD series of the late 90s issued, for the first
time, live material from this stash by Ella Fitzgerald, Fats Waller, Duke
Ellington, Sinatra/Dorsey and Miller.

Dave W.