[78-L] Limited edition Miller

simmonssomer simmonssomer at comcast.net
Thu Mar 19 08:39:22 PDT 2009

Purtill was an excellent drummer. Just listen to him in the great Red Norvo
band. When he got to Miller he was relieved of that loose swinging
characteristic at Miller's behest.  George Simon never got tired of
reminding us that.."Glenn knew exactly what he wanted and knew how to get
it."
Trigger Alpert, the bassist, was also excellent and was much favored
post-war in the studios as a bassist of choice by jazz groups.
No argument on your Chummy opinion. Miller was loyal to his oldest pal. And
don't forget he kept Marion Hutton all those years. Go figure.
As far as the "In The Mood" worship...there are always plenty of morons to
go around.

Al Simmons