[78-L] Limited edition Miller

Jeff Sultanof jeffsultanof at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 04:13:03 PDT 2009

Anything Glenn Miller sold and continues to sell in nice numbers.

The Miller band had a weak rhythm section (guitar was often barely audible,
and if you really listen to Chummy McGregor, he is awful), but the band
could really catch fire sometimes and when it was on, it was just
sensational. Add to that the arrangements of Bill Finegan, Jerry Gray and
Billy May (George "The Fox" Williams came too late to really make an
impression), and the band deserved the accolades it got from fans.
Personally it is not my favorite of the bands of that era (when I once
discussed bands with George Avakian, he told me he had utter contempt for
Miller's band), but I wouldn't want to give up my Miller sets. The band is
still the perfect example of a dance band that could play beautiful music
and could swing like crazy at will, deliberately designed to appeal to the
biggest audience possible. I think it is a pity though that the era is now
defined by "In the Mood" which was not one of Miller's best recordings, IMO,
and I wish this piece could be retired, as I for one am sick of hearing it.

The AAF band IS one of my favorite organizations, and the fairly recent
issues of OWI discs were beautifully done. That is the Glenn Miller I listen
to most often.

Jeff Sultanof