[78-L] Limited edition Miller

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Thu Mar 19 02:50:50 PDT 2009

There were FOUR multi-disc sets in the padded covers, not just two.  The
first white one, LPT 6700, was at first titled "Limited Edition", and
the gold one, LPT 6701, was "Limited Edition Volume Two".  While the
gold one was still selling and the white one had been sold out, they
re-released the white one with the title "Second Pressing" on the cover
and the labels. Late copies of the gold set still say "Limited Edition
Volume Two" on the cover, but do say "Second Pressing" on the labels.  I
have never seen a 45 set of either volume noted as a second pressing,
and have a copy of both EPOT-6700 and 01.  The third one was the Army
Air-Force Band, LPT-6702 and had a picture of a Air Force hat on clouds
on the cover.  They eventually ran out of the padded covers for the AAF
set and put it out in a box numbered LPM 6700 with yellow label
pressings.   Unfortunately they continued to make and sell these when
they ran out of booklets, and I had to do photocopies of a borrowed set
for my boxed LP set.  (I got that as a cut-out at Sam Goodys in the late
60's with a saw-mark on the edge, for $6.99.)   But I do have it in the
padded cover in the 45 version, EPOT-6702.  The fourth one "For the Very
First Time" LPM 6100 was only a three-disc set, came out in 1959, and
might not have been on 45s  It had a painting of Miller playing the
trombone on the front cover which bled over to a painting of the band
bus on the back.  It was the hardest one of any of them for me to get.
I only got it about  5 years ago.  Although not a numbered "Limited
Edition", I don't think they made any effort to make more of the padded
covers or put it in a box after they ran out of the original run of the
covers.

Part of the reason all of these sold so well was that they were premiums
for the RCA Victor Record Club.  Last weekend I bought a few copies of
Look and Sat. Eve. Post, and in the Dec. 5, 1961 issue of Look they
offer five LPs of your choice OR a "new release of the original edition"
of the white Volume One.  $1.87 plus a small charge for handling and
postage.  (I should note that at the birth of the Club they pushed as a
premium the brown padded cover editions of the Toscanini Beethoven and
then Brahms symphonies, and later continued to push the boxed set of the
Beethoven after they ran out of the padded cover versions.)

In the 60s Victor continued to issue LPs drawn from the Miller
broadcasts.  There was a three-disc "On The Air" series that was
available as three separate LPs or the three of them in a slipcase.
There also was a two volume pair of separate LPs of the Chesterfield
broadcasts. There also was a  2-LP gatefold cover in black with silver
printing "Glenn Miller Memorial."   In almost all of these LPs that
include broadcasts, they tried to pick recordings with an absolute
minimum of audience or crowd reaction.  That policy changed for the
wonderful two-disc Volume One in the "A Legendary Performer" series, the
one with the circular cut-out on the outer cover that lets the portrait
on either the booklet or the inner-sleeve show thru.  You hear the bobby
soxers making noise in many of the tracks, and this set included several
presentations of awards, the announcement that he is enlisting, and the
introduction of Harry James as the broadcast replacement.  It is the
most evocative of the era of any of the Miller broadcast sets that
Victor put out.

Jeff Sultanof wrote:
> The way I understand the story, Miller had nearly all of his radio
> broadcasts transcribed by the Harry Smith Recording Company because he
> claimed he could not hear the band from the stand. These recordings were
> stockpiled in his office long after his death, and were finally sent to RCA;
> initially they were thought to be worthless.

This seems straight out of the liner notes of "For the Very First Time".
> The first releases from these
> sources were two 10" LPs entitled "Glenn Miller Concert." The two 5 LP sets
> supposedly were both limited editions to be sold for $25.00 each, and RCA
> didn't expect big sales.

Actually, I think that they expected very big sales of these, especially
considering the blockbuster nature of Columbia's Goodman Carnegie Hall
concert sets, and the fact that the individual Miller LPs were also
selling well.
>  Of course the movie of his life probably helped big
> time, and the resulting huge sales caught them by surprise.

Both Decca and Victor milked the movie for all that it was worth with
soundtrack and re-issue albums respectively.  If anything, those might
have cut back on the sales of the expensive sets.
>  The first set
> was a mix of commercial recordings and live performances, the second is all
> live, highlighting many titles never commercially recorded by Miller.
> Sometime in the sixties, the second set was repressed on Dynacrap, using
> both old and new stampers.

I haven't checked, but I seem to recall  hum in one set of lacquers used
in the 60s.  But as for Dynacrap, these are the pressings you DO want.
It is the black label pressings without the deep groove that are the
ones to be avoided.  Dynaflex was a very high quality vinyl, and unless
they are the very early ones that are very thin, are quieter than almost
any other Victor pressing from the mid-60s on.  .
> I was told that RCA had hundreds of extra albums
> in one of their warehouses, and making a new pressing seemed to be the best
> way to get rid of them - the labels read "Second Pressing." I'm sure that
> there are a few of these floating around; I bought mine at Korvette's for
> $12.98 and wore out every side.

Since the gold volume does not say Second Pressing on the cover, it is
more likely that this story is meant for this volume, not the white
one.  As I mentioned, the record club was pushing the white volume in
the 60s.
> RCA also transcribed a number of NBC broadcasts, and these are true
> airchecks, in that they were professionally recorded as reference and then
> filed away.

It is more likely that the RCA recordings (if they were really done by
RCA rather than NBC) are LINE CHECKS, not Air Checks.  The "I Sustain
The Wings" series of the AAF band were NBC broadcasts and are line
checks.  Harry Smith recorded the CBS broadcasts, and these are possibly
also line checks because CBS did not really have their own recording
service and allowed outside studios to have lines more readily than NBC
did before the Justice Dept/FCC case forced them to in 1941..
> The Artie Shaw 5 LP set from the mid-fifties is made up of
> these. Much of the remainder of what RCA took off the air turned up on
> various Reader's Digest CD sets in the eighties and nineties.
>
> Jeff Sultanof
>
> On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 9:34 PM, Ron L'Herault <lherault at bu.edu> wrote:
>

>> I'm going to be digitizing a bunch of stuff on tape that is Miller
>> broadcasts.  I'm sure they had a lot of studio stuff but the live stuff is
>> quite interesting.  You hear tunes they didn't commercially record I
>> imagine.
>>
>> Ron

Putting out tunes that were not commercial recorded was the purpose of
the three-disc "For the Very First Time."

As mentioned above, the first three sets came out on both LP and 45s.
>>  most of the tracks seem to come from
>> radio broadcasts. Does any one know the history of these? was the mid
>> 50's a special time for
>> releasing radio broadcasts (Decca was doing this with Jolson)

The Jolson broadcast LPs are from the late 50s and early 60s.  The first
five 12-inchers from 1956 with the gold band at the edge, DL 9034-38,
put out all of his Decca studio recordings, replacing and supplementing
the eight 10-inch LPs.   With all of the studio recordings already out,
that led to the next six being broadcast recordings, DL 9050 (1957),
9063 (1958), 9070 & 9074 (1959), 9095 (1961), and 9099(1963).

>> - then again, RCA did this in the 60's with Lanza.

Really?  I thought this only happened on a CD set a few years ago.
>> But did RCA not have enough studio material in 1954 to release sets
>> of this size?

Considering that the Bluebird Complete Miller is something like 20 fully
packed LPs, I would say that they did have enough studio material.  It
is just that these broadcasts were an interesting alternative to the LPs
that were already out.
>> did these sell well?

Yes!

Mike Biel   mbiel at mbiel.com