[78-L] hearing Jo (was copyright)

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sun Mar 15 22:30:21 PDT 2009

Michael Biel wrote:
> William A. Brent wrote:
>> in Fall River, Massachusetts, where a record shop,
>> located in an old factory building, proudly displayed their 78's, in
>> bins, right next to the LPs.
>> Maybe the future of records is in the small stores - don't expect to see
>> many in NYC where the rents and taxes make everyone your partner,
> Don't be so quick to count out NYC for stores like this.  My postings
> last week mentioned some that are thriving in NYC.  In lower Manhattan
> is Acadamy, which has a good selection of shows, easy listening,
> nostalgia, jazz, and classical on used CD, DVD, and LP.  They are always
> crowded.  In the Village, Bleeker Street Records is another favorite of
> ours.  One of the newspaper articles I posted links to has a list of
> some other record stores in NYC.  On the other hand, last year there was
> the loss of Footlight Record's store location.  The rent rose three
> times that year and they moved onto the web exclusively.  But they had a
> great close-out sale that went on for months -- all the time I was there
> in NYC!! -- with many valuable LPs going for 50 cents.  I think Leah and
> I must have bought over 800 records there that summer in trip after trip
> after trip.
>
> Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com

Ya gotta love when record stores close, if only for that one reason..I spent
days at Rare Records in Glendale in 1992 when everything was 80 cents a disc
(how they arrived at that figure I'll never know), and a couple of years ago I
parked my carcass in the Red Roof Inn and my wife switched on Oprah just in
time to see a spot for Record Archive's "Everything for $1, We're Closing"
sale. People had gone nuts over the rock albums but nobody had gone near
comedy, ethnic, spoken word or the miscellaneous stuff.