[78-L] hearing Jo (was copyright)

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sun Mar 15 21:22:29 PDT 2009

William A. Brent wrote:
> in Fall River, Massachusetts, where a record shop,
> located in an old factory building, proudly displayed their 78's, in
> bins, right next to the LPs.
> Maybe the future of records is in the small stores - don't expect to see
> many in NYC where the rents and taxes make everyone your partner,
Don't be so quick to count out NYC for stores like this.  My postings
last week mentioned some that are thriving in NYC.  In lower Manhattan
is Acadamy, which has a good selection of shows, easy listening,
nostalgia, jazz, and classical on used CD, DVD, and LP.  They are always
crowded.  In the Village, Bleeker Street Records is another favorite of
ours.  One of the newspaper articles I posted links to has a list of
some other record stores in NYC.  On the other hand, last year there was
the loss of Footlight Record's store location.  The rent rose three
times that year and they moved onto the web exclusively.  But they had a
great close-out sale that went on for months -- all the time I was there
in NYC!! -- with many valuable LPs going for 50 cents.  I think Leah and
I must have bought over 800 records there that summer in trip after trip
after trip.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com