[78-L] hearing Jo (was copyright)

William A. Brent bbrent at pipeline.com
Sat Mar 14 23:42:56 PDT 2009

At 02:29 PM 3/10/2009, you wrote:
>That's also why you don't hear Jo Stafford on moderate volume when you enter
>the big record store that remains.

This is interesting - I was recently in Athens, Georgia - a typical
college town -
and on the main street (which is about 1/4 mile long) there are two
record shops-
with nearly as many new releases as used vinyl.
and while the albums that "pull 'em in" are the hot local bands, I bought a
very nice copy of Jo Stafford's semi-Christmas album (which i only had on
EPs 'till now).
People (young and old) were in these stores - and they were buying.
and yes there were some boxes of 78's - though not well sorted.
Not the case in Fall River, Massachusetts, where a record shop,
located in an old factory building, proudly displayed their 78's, in
bins, right
next to the LPs.
Maybe the future of records is in the small stores - don't expect to see
many in NYC where the rents and taxes make everyone your partner, but
there is a ground swell for vinyl again - maybe if the "record companies" can
follow and expand on MCA's lead.
forget the CDs - sell the vinyl albums - treating them like collectors items,
and with each album you buy - you can download MP3s of the tracks legally
and for free.
Expand that to record stores - sell the latest slop on vinyl - and
use the store's
receipt to authorize the download.
I see this more as a way to re-kindle the record shop, than increase
the availability of
"our" music - BUT - once you have a shop - you have retail space that can house
re-issues, used records, out of print CDs and more.