[78-L] Edison's interference in the Edison catalogue, pt 2

Stephen Davies SDavies at mtroyal.ca
Tue Mar 10 12:06:33 PDT 2009

(excerpted from Sam Coslow: "Cocktails for two" (1977), pp 29-35)

Chapter Three
MY BOSS – THE GREATEST MAN ALIVE (cont'd)
<<<
        Eventually, the New York recording division successfully buried
the recordings, and Mr. Edison was told that the retailers were just not
interested in oldtime songs.
            When Edison learned that the revivals were not instant hit
records, he was more determined than ever to prove that "those <34>
imbeciles in New York know nothing about picking song hits." He, Thomas A.
Edison, had always had an infallible ear for a good tune, and by golly he
would show them how to pick the hits! Out of his indignation came some new
duties for me.
        Knowing that I was acquainted with New York song publishers,
Edison decided that I was to spend several afternoons each week making the
rounds in Tin Pan Alley. I would hear all of the new song releases, weed
them out, and then go over the most likely hit prospects with Edison at a
weekly session at which he - and he alone - would personally decide on the
final selections to be recorded at the New York studio. Thus I found
myself sudenly transformed from "composer-arranger" to Mr. Edison's
personal song scout.
        The scouting scheme went well for awhile, but after a few months
of the new routine something occurred that led directly to my downfall as
a scout for Edison Records.
        On one of my semiweekly trips to New York, the [salesman] for
Remick's .... was awaiting my visit with a new song he seemed really
excited about. He summoned Remick's top team of songpluggers to his office
to demonstrate the song for me. It was called "Carolina in the Morning,"
.... Moreover, Jolson was scheduled to introduce it in his new show at the
Winter Garden, which, as I knew from actual experience, was a virtual
guarantee of success for any new number.
        At the next weekly session with Mr. Edison, I prefaced my
demonstration of "Carolina in the Morning" with the nonchalant statement
that I had found one of the big hits of the year. I began to sing and play
it, but Edison stopped me cold after the first few bars. Occasionally,
when he was not sure of what he was hearing, Edison would have me play the
tune on the piano with one finger - just the single notes of the melody.
He had a theory that people could easily be fooled when a tune was dressed
up with an attractive arrangement. What he wanted was the bare bones of
the naked, unadorned melody. He instantly recognized "Carolina in the
Morning" as that kind of melodic fooler, and insisted that I play it with
one finger, one note at a time, and slowly. He wanted the basic tune to
sink in.
        Did you ever try to play "Carolina in the Morning" with one
finger? For a number that has stood the test of time to become one of the
great song standards of this century, the one-finger version is one of the
most unbelievably monotonous melodies ever composed. The same two notes
over and over again. ....
        I played the one-finger arrangement, sans all harmonies and
without singing the lyrics, just as Edison wanted it. .... Throughout the
demonstration, I could see Edison squinting at me in disbelief. He strode
to the window, looking out in reflective silence. Finally he spoke.
        "You really think that will be the big hit of the year? I think
it's just terrible!"
        At the end of the week I received a short note from the personnel
manager, enclosing a check for two weeks' salary in lieu of notice. The
note stated, very simply, "Your services are no longer required."
        Thus ended my brief association with the greatest man I would ever
meet in a lifetime. I was tempted many times afterwards to call his
attention to the fact that "Carolina" had indeed turned out to be one of
the smash hits of all time - but by that time Edison Records had gone down
the drain, and I was far more absorbed in resuming my songwriting career.

        I can share the whole chapter with interested parties off-list.  I
welcome comments, but please don't reply by including the whole lengthy
post.

Stephen D
Calgary

addressed, and may
contain confidential, personal, and or privileged information. Please
contact the sender
immediately if you are not the intended recipient of this communication,
and do not copy,
distribute, or take action relying on it. Any communication received in
error, or subsequent
reply, should be deleted or destroyed.