[78-L] Capital Series

Randy Watts rew1014 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 3 18:49:47 PST 2009

--- On Tue, 3/3/09, Steven C. Barr <stevenc at interlinks.net> wrote:

> From: Steven C. Barr <stevenc at interlinks.net>
> Subject: Re: [78-L] Capital Series
> To: "78-L Mail List" <78-l at klickitat.78online.com>
> Date: Tuesday, March 3, 2009, 6:41 PM

Few details on Capitol, off the top of my head:

Race series releases were numbered in the 70000s. Popular album releases were originally numbered in the 10000 and 20000s. "Americana" album releases were numbered in the 48000s. There was also a 60000 series for jazz. (These may have been "Kenton Presents" releases. Don't have my notes at hand.) Oh, and they also had a 90000 series that was basically used for odds and ends: lots of Christmas music and polkas show up in here. The 1600s were used for reissues, causing a jump in the numbering of new release pop singles from 1599 to 1700 when they finally reached that point. In the late '40s the 10000 and 20000 series were discontinued and popular album releases from that point on took over the 15000 series, then in the 15400s.

I believe the "Criterion" designation was only used on album releases.

All of this was, I believe, a plot on the part of Capitol Records to drive their dealers crazy.

Randy