[78-L] Dop a-bary dealers usually follow your packing instructions? (revision!)

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sat Feb 21 17:23:17 PST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "agp" <agp2176 at verizon.net>
> Its a bit hit and miss. I've had my best luck with sellers who put
> the records between two pieces of wood or particle board and then 3
> inch slabs of styrofoam. But even then, I've had breakage. And then
> there are those who use newspaper as packing and two pieces of
> cardboard in large box. Most of the time -- the record arrives in two
> pieces.. Then other times .. no damage! Went through that 3 times
> with a UK 78 of Move It by Cliff Richard. Then I had a friend hand
> carry it over from England!
> It looks like it all depends whether or not the post office sends it
> to its stress test department or not -- yep this piano can go on top
> of that little box marked fragile

Actually, including a 10" x 10" piece of wood (1x? or 3/4" plywood)
to the stack of records will make it all but impossible to bend (and
thus break the 78's therein...!) the resulting stack...! Even better (IF
you have an acquaintance with the requisite equipment, AND a lot
of money for postage...?!) would be 10" squares of 1/4" sheet steel?!

...stevenc