[78-L] Unexpected US Releases was Calling all Goonatics

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Mon Feb 2 19:57:54 PST 2009

I was 13 when stereo hit the market, probably more like 16 before my dad
finally sprang for a stereo turntable, which he then ran through whatever two
amps he had. Nobody was jumping up and down to convert everything, and the
gimmicky "stereo action" LPs didn't turn one serious music lover binaural. You
didn't need stereo for a solo violin (even with accompaniment) or a solo piano
or a stand-up comic..and by the way, the mono mix is still far better on many
live comedy albums. If you read early 60s issues of High Fidelity (which I
happen to be doing lately), you'll see that there was no push to turn contented
monophiles into stereoaddicts..the reviews let you know if one version sounded
better than the other, and many times they preferred the mono as well. Cast
albums were an exception, and even then they'd let you know if the staging was
false. I just read a review of a solo jazz piano album by a performer who sang
a few vocals..it seems they separated the voice on the left and the piano on
the right, and the reviewer took great delight in ripping this to shreds.

Radio stations bought the stereo pressings..at least one AM station in Toronto
bought the stereo discs because they were pressed on better vinyl (RCA had a
problem with the mix used for mono) but had to watch carefully for phasing
problems, especially on Capitols (and not just the DuoPhonics). By the late
60s, I was looking out for replacement copies for LPs that were no longer
available and often I'd be able to find only a mono version over at Half Beat
Harold's (a great Toronto store that had thousands of US cutouts for cheap).

I've told the story before but I'm the one at the keyboard, so here it is
again. In the mid 60s I was buying Everest's Archive of Piano series, which
were $1.99 for mono and $2.29 for stereo. Who needed stereo for one piano? Only
years later did I find out why those records sounded compressed and
clangy..they WERE stereo, with mono labels and jackets. Alshire (101 Strings)
did the same thing..deleted "mono" LPs were 3/$1 at Twin Fair in Buffalo, and
yep, the discs were really stereo.

dl