[78-L] Unexpected US Releases was Calling all Goonatics

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Mon Feb 2 18:55:34 PST 2009

David Weiner wrote:
> I still don't get why stereo discs were so hard to come by in the mid-60s -
> not only comedy, but Beatles original issues, for instance - despite the
> extra dollar in cost, hadn't all the ad copy screaming about stereo
> superiority worked at all? Or had consumer interest in stereo waned by 1963?
>
> Was it easier to find a stereo issue say, in 1960 than in 1963?
>
> Dave W.

Of course part of this particular narrative concerned British sales, and
most of the companies there had the same price for mono and stereo.  The
Brits were slow in converting their equipment to stereo and had been
warned not to play stereo discs with mono cartridges.  Here in the U.S.,
that extra dollar meant a whole lot.  After all, that was an increase of
price that could be 30% depending on discount.  There often were
wholesaler kickbacks on mono records that reduced their prices even
more.  Billboard had separate mono and stereo charts until mid-1964, and
pushing stereo copies of certain types might lower the chart position in
the more important mono chart.  It might be a good subject to study --
and might have had an effect on the growth of electronic stereo we
discussed a few months ago.

I worked for a rack jobber in 1966 and 67 and personally changed the
price stickers of every mono LP in Macy's 34th Street on the Sunday that
the mono prices went up.  Until that day -- and even after -- mono
always outsold stereo.  On rock albums it could be 5 to 1.  We sold
practically no stereo country albums.  Soundtracks like Sound of Music
might be closer, like 1.5 to 1.   Bill Cosby were our biggest comedy
sellers, and I made a point of having stereo in stock, but few were sold
until the price change.   I left for a better job soon after the price
change, but could see in the stores that mono still sold till the record
companies forced the issue and just deleted the monos -- where they
still sold in the cut-out bins!   Yeah, real smart.  Mono was 99 cents
and stereo was $3.29.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com