[78-L] Don Bonnee

simmonssomer simmonssomer at comcast.net
Mon Jan 26 20:45:01 PST 2009

Absolutely. But when I want to hear that deep down big band swing, I still
go to the Jimmie Lunceford Orchestra.
Maybe Basie swung harder, but the relaxed groove that the Lunceford band
most always eased into was irresistable.
Few head arrangements and not dependent on repeated riffs, but with great Sy
Oliver charts generating  rocking ensemble work with Paul Webster,Willie
Smith and Trummy Young supplying the solo work with Craws holding it all
together on drums.Victor had them for a couple of months in 1934 and
incomprehensibly let them go to Decca early in the game.... Too much Kapp I
guess.

Al S,