[78-L] Stephen Foster and the "N-word"

Tom nice_guy_with_an_mba at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 26 10:37:42 PST 2009

David,

I looked online for references to the Shilkret set using search terms like "shilkret" and "foster" but didn't find much. Do you have a link?

Insofar as the source of the lyrics I ran across, here's where I found them:

http://www.pitt.edu/~amerimus/lyrics.htm

I'd never visited this site before a few days ago, though it just popped up using search terms like "stephen foster" and "lyrics" if I remember correctly.

This source looks to me to be pretty authoritative, since it's affiliated with a major university. The Foster collection at the university was donated by Josiah Lilly, a former president of the Eli Lilly pharmaceutical company and a serious collector of Foster memorabilia. It appears the University of Pittsburg was chosen as a repository for the collection since Foster was a native son of Pittsburg and wrote most of his compositions while there.

To the extent that there are differences in the lyrics, it's possible, and perhaps likely, that subsequent publications of the song sheets edited out the word "nigger" whose usage may have been falling into disfavor by the time of the later publications, at least in some sectors of society.

None of this changes the virulent racism inherent in Foster's music which, at least in my view, taints everything else that may have been worthwhile associated with his musical output. Ditto for the coon songs and Al Jolson.