[78-L] Benzaquin ~ Cocoanut Grove

fnarf at comcast.net fnarf at comcast.net
Mon Jan 26 10:15:55 PST 2009

Almost twenty years ago I lived just a block away from the site of the Cocoanut Grove, which at that time was still a parking lot. I think it still is. I had run across a big pile of Benzaquin's "Holocaust!" in hardcover on a remainder table somewhere, and became somewhat obsessed with this incident, the most famous and horrible thing that ever happened in Bay Village. I went to the trouble of looking up everyone in the neighborhood, including my apartment at that time, in the city directory. I spent many hours just walking around that block, which still seemed to emit a sense of horror. There were still people at my work who could remember that awful day, but Bostonians didn't like to talk about it much. It was an unspeakably tragic event, and the book really brought it to life. Many of the victims were not burned at all but were killed instantly where they sat by poison gas coming off the wall coverings, while hundreds perished stacked up against the fire door which had been weld
ed shut.

For me, the most fascinating thing about the aftermath of the fire was the fact that it was the first time penicillin was used on civilian burn victims -- applied topically, not orally. It was a military thing, designed to be tested on the battlefield, but when this terrifying opportunity presented itself all of a sudden they tried it. I believe it was also the first time in history a person with second- or third-degree burns over more than 50% of his body survived.

I'll have to check out the Schorow book.

--
Steve.

From: Donna Halper <dlh at donnahalper.com>