[78-L] OT. Cockney Rhyming Slang.

Spats spats47 at ntlworld.com
Sun Jan 25 08:15:39 PST 2009

Hi!

Yes, it must be at least 30 years since my old friend and manager
made up 'Ruby'. It spread around all the touring bands like wildfire,
because, of-course, they often ate curry at Indian restaurants while
on the road. From there, it conquered the world! ;-)

However, as I say, I've never ever heard 'Ginger' used to mean a homosexual.

Men wearing bad wigs used to afford my old friend great hilarity, for
some reason, so I made up my own rhyming slang, so that, when I
wanted to draw attention to a particularly bad example, I could do so
aloud without alerting anyone but him.

I came up with 'Coronation Mug', for 'rug'.
Thus, I was able to say to him...

'John, are you old enough to remember the coronation?'
and he'd immediately look around to see what I had seen...

The old original cockney rhyming slang words can be heard on such old
Music Hall songs as 'Any Old Iron' of-course.

Earl.