[78-L] Stephen Foster

Chris Zwarg doctordisc at truesoundtransfers.de
Fri Jan 23 13:08:03 PST 2009

At 21:25 23.01.2009, you wrote:
>Gee, it's written in dialect, a common practice.  The guy didn't have much
>and bet the horses.  I'm not sure if going home with a pocket full of tin
>meant that he won a little or a lot.  I'd have to see what tin meant at the
>time.
>
>Ron L

Here you are:

First of all, there is NOT ONE WORD in the whole lyrics that says anything about the ethnicity of either the singer nor the ladies, nor about the moral or mental qualities of either, least of all in contrast to White people (who, like Blacks, are not mentioned at all, nor is there any hint of a "judgment" pro or contra any of the characters excepting one horse that wins and others that lose). The lyrics describe a race (like in "running" not in "racism") of HORSES (not humans) of various colours and characteristics, and the main character is a lucky fellow who has won at that race and now recounts the experience. The spelling seems to intend some kind of thick accent that the author probably intends to be done in an exaggerated fashion for comic effect on stage (like Pepe the Pew's "French" or Chico Marx' "Italian" accents - are these racist and denigrating too in your opinion?). At no point, anything but the winner's joy about the victory of the "bob-tail nag" (on which the singer had bet his money) after overcoming several bizarre and comic obstacles is described.

No matter how I try to contort my imagination, I find nothing ugly or dislikeable about the characters or the events recounted in this song, nor anything that would induce any negative or aggressive emotion; if you are a radical Calvinist who thinks betting on horses for money a mortal sin you might think differently about that, but then this is a "sin" indulged in by people of many nations and ethnic backgrounds. The "hero" is neither stupid (after all he picked the right horse and won more money than he can carry in his pockets) nor dishonest (the horse won honestly against all odds) nor "inferior" (to whom? the horses? the ladies who "sing the song" and don't take any further part in the proceedings described? There is no other character mentioned who might be superior to the lucky winner!).

The only criticism one might well level at the song is that it is banal, but that's an argument against the writer (who we agree was a White man so this cannot show Black inferiority either), and even this banality might well be intentional in what is obviously a folksong imitation, down to the incongruous beginning with the eponymous Ladies that are never mentioned again (in a fashion often find in very old traditionals whose words were already half-forgotten when they were first written down), and the repeated "doo-dah" chorus evoking the typical collective replies in a shanty or work-song.

A "genre" song? Yes! A "racist" song? Except for the excruciatingly bad pun on "horse-racing" you night have intended to fool me - no!

Chris Zwarg