[78-L] Stephen Foster - Postscript

Chris Zwarg doctordisc at truesoundtransfers.de
Fri Jan 23 13:47:27 PST 2009

>(re Foster's "Camptown Races")
>
>A "genre" song? Yes! A "racist" song? Except for the excruciatingly bad pun on "horse-racing" you night have intended to fool me - no!
>
>Chris Zwarg

PS: Of course it all depends on how you define "racist" - try googling "racist songs" and you will find truly disgusting items by one "Johnny Rebel" at the top of the list (I just did in the hope of finding further reading on the subject we are discussing here and was shocked - a shame on the IPs that host these things!). These are perversions I'd like to see destroyed and silenced today rather than tomorrow, and I would not find a kind word for Rebel and his like if my life depended on it. How some people come to describe the songs of Foster, Jolson, or Collins & Harlan in the same terms as that inhuman sh*t is still beyond me.