[78-L] warning ; on-topic - 78 trends

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Thu Jan 22 21:33:24 PST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "William A. Brent" <bbrent at pipeline.com>
> Hi
> Just wondering - what are the current trends in 1940s-50's sales of 78s.
> I'm not talking about the one off anomalies (like Miss Clooney's
> "Tenderly" selling
> for more than 75 cents on ebay) - but what are the strong sellers
> (if any) from that time period.
> Are people actively looking for certain labels and artists - or has the
> digital
> age eliminated all but Elvis from the market?

AFAIK, the demand for 1946-1959 78's is minimal...with two notable
exceptions! ANYTHING that was issued on 78 after such discs were
no longer being pressed "south of the border" (there are a lot of folks
with 78rpm jukeboxes, eh...?!) as well as ANY "Elvis" 78's (which
are NOWHERE NEAR as valuable as their sellers assume/hope...?!)

Once the 45 was introduced in 1949, 78rpm phonorecords became
"obsolete"...! They only draw interest from (1) dedicated 78 fans,
insofar as such exist; (2) owners of "antique" 78rpm jukeboxes; and
(3) that handful of completists who MUST have EVERY issue of
their "idol," in EVERY format...and even with EVERY variation of
the copyright symbol/statement...that EVER existed...?!

...stevenc