[78-L] playback of broken records WAS Homer and Jethro--33 King sides only

Mark Hendrix 78L gennett5276 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 22 20:31:11 PST 2009

Hello, David, you wrote:

> diamond is .. yeah, I'm gonna say it..  no, I'll avoid that
> cliche. Suffice to
> say that because the disc wasn't warped, the two halves fitted perfectly
> together and I've been handling broken records since I was
> breaking 'em myself
> 60 years ago. The split was no worse than two deep scratches and
> I played it at
> 78.

That makes sense.  Though I suppose if you had anything other than a tight
crack, you might risk cantilever damage.

> A record with a hole in it might be a bit of a
> problem

It occurs to me that a record WITHOUT a hole in it might be an even bigger
problem.  I wonder why nobody at Harmony/United/Standard/Diamond/Busy
Bee/Aretino never thought of that!  :-)

--Mark Hendrix