[78-L] playback of broken records WAS Homer and Jethro--33 King sides only

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Thu Jan 22 20:41:18 PST 2009

It depends on the cartridge and stylus. The Shure N78S probably wouldn't take a
crack well (it doesn't take ANYTHING well in my opinion) and the Stantons track
at too light a force, but the Shure SS78E is the best stylus for bumps, warps,
cracks and other disasters. It also plays good records well. Too bad it's not
available anywhere (I have one knock-off version and it's not good).

Weren't there some special records in the early 1900s, like commemorative
plates, that had no holes? You'd have a contraption to fit them (or it) in
which DID have a hole in the bottom side.

dl