[78-L] RCA Victor reverse side "spider web" etching name?

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Mon Jan 5 19:32:52 PST 2009

These "web back" pressings go back to the early 1920s or even earlier (though
not with "RCA" in those days) and into the fifties. RCA-pressed radio
transcriptions also had them. I've also seen some LPs with a similar backing,
on Angel sets that took an uneven number of sides. This was a bad idea because
LP sets were often played on changers and these sides didn't have a clean
groove running through them (unlike the 78s).

dl