[78-L] RCA Victor reverse side "spider web" etching name?

Eric Jacobs Eric at NoopMedia.com
Mon Jan 5 19:25:50 PST 2009

On the reverse side of some single-sided RCA Victor discs can
be found an intricate etching displaying "RCA Victor" in large
1.5-inch letters, together with the RCA logo and "His Masters
Voice" logos in 1-inch circles with a background covering the
entire disc side consisting of interconnected spider webs.

It looks so cool.  Maybe it's commonplace, but I've not seen
too many discs with this pass through my studio.

I'm happy to email a scan of this off-list to anyone who has
never seen this reverse side etching.  Just email me privately.

Anyway, is there a name for this intricate etching?

How (types of recordings) and when (time span) was this etching
used?

I've only seen this reverse-side etching on my 1940s RCA Victor
78 RPM test records (EQ test tones - anyone else collect these?)
and now with these RCA Victor test pressings.

For shellacs, they're very quiet.

Thanks so much,

Eric Jacobs

The Audio Archive, Inc.