[78-L] Calabrese-Breese/ Lown relationship

Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr. citroenid19 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jan 3 16:33:40 PST 2009

Glen Richards wrote:
> Lown was a booking agent who managed a number of artists, including Rudy
> Vallee. Lown wasn't a musician; his "bandleading" efforts were with
> Adrian Rollini starting in 1929, perhaps hoping to emulate booking agent
> Ed Kirkekby's earlier success with the California Ramblers.
>
> Glen
>
> Glen Richards
> The Hot-Dance & Vintage Jazz Pages: www.2multiples.com/hotdance
>
> Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr. wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> I am now quite settled on Lou's activities for the first 10 years
>> following his leaving the New England Conservatory, except for one
>> nagging problem. He is credited with working with Burt Lown and so far I
>> found no relationship. Does anyone see anything in the discographies
>> that might shed more light on this?

Who is listed as banjo and/or trumpet player on his "Bye Bye Blues" and
the other recordings as the Hotel Biltmore Orchestra found on the CD here?
*http://tinyurl.com/8k5m7z*

One is certainly struck by the changing sound of music from the 20's to
the early 30's. Still not quite swing, but with many elements.

--
Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr. #:?)
Technology, thoughtfully, responsibly.