[78-L] Calabrese-Breese/ Lown relationship

Glen Richards glenster at 2multiples.com
Sat Jan 3 16:52:23 PST 2009

I can safely say that Calabrese is *not* on any of the Bert Lown & His
Orchestra" sides. I believe Adrian Rollini actually ran the band
(musically), as I believe he did with the California Ramblers. As a
consequence, many of the Lown orchestra sidemen are California Ramblers
alumni; indeed, Rust credits Tommy Felline (banjo and guitar) and Frank
Cush and Eddie Farley (trumpet) on the Lown sides through mid 1931 -
Felline and Cush were long associated with the Ramblers.

I would not be surprised at all to hear that Lown booked Calabrese,
perhaps as a single in vaudeville, or perhaps as a leader of his own
band. The October 1928 issue of The Metronome mentions Lown partnering
with Rudy Vallee and representing 10 dance bands - perhaps Calabrese's
was one of them.

Glen

The Hot-Dance & Vintage Jazz Pages: www.2multiples.com/hotdance