[78-L] I Beg To Differ

Michael Shoshani mshoshani at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 2 11:23:26 PST 2009

On Fri, 2009-01-02 at 14:11 -0500, Bill Knowlton wrote:

> Oh, for wierd pronounciations do come to Central New York. Pulaski is "pull-ask-eye," Chili is "chy lie."

Here in Chicago we have a main thoroughfare called Devon Avenue. This is
pronounced "Duh-VONN".  It intersects with a street called Paulina -
pronounced "paul-EYE-nah".

My parents once told me of an adventure they had in Louisville - where
they lived at the time - in which locals in an unfamiliar neighborhood
had them going crazy looking for "Round Street".  FINALLY they found
what they were looking for: ROWAN Street!

MS

Whose state is home to the New Madrid Fault...pronounced "MAY-drid".