[78-L] Electronic stereo and Schwann (was: Dubbed contemporary matrix questions (Columbia related).

fnarf at comcast.net fnarf at comcast.net
Sun Dec 28 07:45:52 PST 2008

Michael Biel <mbiel at mbiel.com> wrote:

> Those of us who were early adapters of stereo tend to forget that the
> average customer did not rush to change over to stereo.  And even when
> they did, they were selective as to what they would spend the extra
> dollar on.  My brother-in-law is a perfect example.  He put together a
> fine stereo system but still mainly bought mono copies until stereo
> didn't cost a dollar more.

Especially when in some cases the stereo mix was an inferior, disregarded product. The Beatles up until the White Album I believe personally attended all mono mastering sessions, with George Martin, as these were considered the "proper" recordings, while the stereo mastering was done by an engineer with no principals there. They are in many cases very different.

--
Steve