[78-L] Can 78 rpm needles be found for the USB turntables out there?

Jeff Lichtman jeff at swazoo.com
Sat Dec 27 09:59:41 PST 2008

>a 2.8 or 3 mil will sound a lot better for 78's than a .7 would!! Or
>is there some way to connect a regular turntable to a soundcard or
>usb port? Which would be the better choice? I just want to put some
>of my old 78's onto audio CD's for playing in my truck as I drive around.....

Probably the easiest way to do this is with a stand-alone CD
recorder. These work very much like tape recorders, except that they
record to CD blanks. You must use special blanks that are a little
more expensive than regular blanks (there's a surcharge that goes to
the recording industry). The main advantage is that you can hook the
recorder directly to your stereo system and can transfer records with
little effort, and without involving a computer. Disadvantages
include the fact that your ability to edit is limited - for example,
you can't use an software audio editor to trim lead-ins and lead-outs
(although you could do the editing later by ripping the tracks from a
CD onto your computer, doing the editing there, and then burning a new CD).

Sony makes a stand-alone recorder that lists for $299.95:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=27926

I don't know about other brands of stand-alone CD recorders.

                        -        Jeff Lichtman
                                 jeff at swazoo.com
                                 http://swazoo.com/