[78-L] Can 78 rpm needles be found for the USB turntables outthere?

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sat Dec 27 17:41:08 PST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "D P Ingram" <darren at ingram.fi>
> Depends on the turntable (if you can change the stylus). On my Stanton
> T.90 usb which we use for auditoning outside the studio (with the
> various machines) it you just change the headshell.
>>
>> usb port? Which would be the better choice? I just want to put some
>> of my old 78's onto audio CD's for playing in my truck as I drive
>> around.....

Okeh...!

REALLY easy way to put 78's on tape/CD-R/DVD-R/wotever...!

1) Acquire an old "record player" with a ceramic cartridge.

2) Cut leads from cartridge to machine's amplifier.

3) Connect above leads to a "mini-phone-plug" (stereo or mono);
plug said plug into the "Line In" jack of your computer sound card,
cassette recorder, r2r machine, wotever!

The output of a ceramic (or crystal, if you have found a REALLY
old record player...?!) is basically at "Line level"...or about one volt!

More complicated method if your 78-capable TT is a modern
magnetic-cartridge type...

1) Plug 78-capable TT into proper jack of your "stereo system."

2) Use the system to either (1) feed the 78 sound into the selected
device...OR...(2) Take a feed from your system's "Line Out" jack
and input it to your sound card's "Line In" jack.

...stevenc