[78-L] Can 78 rpm needles be found for the USB turntables out there?

simmonssomer simmonssomer at comcast.net
Sat Dec 27 12:00:08 PST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff Lichtman" <jeff at swazoo.com>
To: "78-L Mail List" <78-l at klickitat.78online.com>
Sent: Saturday, December 27, 2008 12:59 PM
Subject: Re: [78-L] Can 78 rpm needles be found for the USB turntables out
there?

>>a 2.8 or 3 mil will sound a lot better for 78's than a .7 would!! Or
>>is there some way to connect a regular turntable to a soundcard or
>>usb port? Which would be the better choice? I just want to put some
>>of my old 78's onto audio CD's for playing in my truck as I drive
>>around.....
>
> Probably the easiest way to do this is with a stand-alone CD
> recorder. These work very much like tape recorders, except that they
> record to CD blanks. You must use special blanks that are a little
> more expensive than regular blanks (there's a surcharge that goes to
> the recording industry). The main advantage is that you can hook the
> recorder directly to your stereo system and can transfer records with
> little effort, and without involving a computer. Disadvantages
> include the fact that your ability to edit is limited - for example,
> you can't use an software audio editor to trim lead-ins and lead-outs
> (although you could do the editing later by ripping the tracks from a
> CD onto your computer, doing the editing there, and then burning a new
> CD).
>
> Sony makes a stand-alone recorder that lists for $299.95:
>
> http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=27926
>
> I don't know about other brands of stand-alone CD recorders.
>
>                        -        Jeff Lichtman
>                                 jeff at swazoo.com
>                                 Check out Swazoo Koolak's Web Jukebox at
>                                 http://swazoo.com/

Get the Sony two drawer CD Recorder RCD-W500C, It is  excellent.You can
probably get it for much less than $299 after the New year.
If you wish you can add the po' boys editor,a stereo Graphic Equalizer which
can cut out the high frequency hiss(mebbe above 8K or so) They're available
for next to nothing.

Al S.