[78-L] Christmas Music

Harold Aherne leotolstoy_75 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 27 09:55:22 PST 2008

There's also "At the Christmas Ball" by Bessie Smith (18 Nov 1925), but which
doesn't seem to have been issued until 1940--at least I couldn't find it in the
14000-D series. Bessie sounds *much* cheerier than usual on that recording.

Otherwise, it does seem that the catalysts for "popular" Christmas music as
we're thinking of the term are "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" and "Winter
Wonderland" in 1934, although I'm not aware of many other such songs
until the early 40s. And from then to at least the early 60s there's quite a lot of them.

-Harold