[78-L] Christmas Music

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sat Dec 27 10:08:51 PST 2008

And numerous swinging versions of Jingle Bells..Fats, BG, Glenn, Ozzie (sorry,
Al). The earliest Jingle Bells dance band version might be Charles Dornberger
in 1932....? As for bluesy Christmas sides, there's Ozie Ware's "Santa Claus,
Bring My Man Back" in 1928 with some of Ellington's band, and "Santa Claus
Blues" with Louis and the Red Onion Jazz Babies. "Santa Claus Came in the
Spring" was done by Benny Goodman and Putney Dandridge in 1935.

dl