[78-L] Pile o' 78s

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Thu Dec 18 18:32:05 PST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert M. Bratcher Jr." <bratcher at pdq.net>
> On 12/18/2008 11:42:48 AM, Sam Brylawski (goodlistening at gmail.com) wrote:
> > The promise to destroy the discs was a provision of the free services
> > and
> > licenses AFRS obtained from unions and publishers. Such promises enabled
> > AFM
> > members to record for AFRS and V discs during the first record ban.
> Yes but it was still wrong from a historical (as in saving material
> that is now lost) point of view. But then I doubt anyone thought of
> that back then or if a few people did then they were ignored. The
> only reason we have any kind of ET's today is that some people saved
> the discs which is why some still exist today. If they hadn't then
> there wouldn't be any!!

In fact, the pro-destruction (due to legal questions) attitude continued
for a number of years! I have heard of a record collector who contacted
the US "Defense Department" re discographic questions on a V-Disc
record in his posession...and was summarily informed that his posession
of the record was totally illegal, and that it should be destroyed
posthaste!

...stevenc