[78-L] Pile o' 78s

benno.haeupl at t-online.de benno.haeupl at t-online.de
Thu Dec 18 10:18:38 PST 2008

Thanks for drawing our attention to the aftermath photo.
Yes, that is what it used to look like.
And it broke my heart, too, when I had to witness this, with my fists in
my pockets.

I know (from Mark White, former program director of AFN Berlin, now
residing in Berlin) that their record library went to AFN Frankfurt
first, and then everything was shipped to the Library of Congress.

As a matter of fact, there is an Army department in California that
keeps a watch over auction sites for 'Army property'.
If you list such AFRS records on the Bay in the category 'militaria',
they will be ended by the auction site, and you may face prosecution.

A couple of years ago I was in touch with someone who had such records
for auction there. He was contacted by the US Army and was to tell them
where he had them from. And he was instructed that they were still U.S.
Property.  I don't know how he acted upon these instructions, though.

It is safe, however, to list AFRS records in the category 'Music /
Records'.  This US Army Dept. in California does not look there. They're
probably now after Humvees 'lost' in Afghanistan, instead.

Benno