[78-L] Pile o' 78s

Sam Brylawski goodlistening at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 10:03:46 PST 2008

Of course it was wrong. BTW, the Library of Congress only has a collection
of AFRTS discs because Ralph J. Gleason learned that a big cache of them was
about to be destroyed in Europe (I forget where) and he wrote to Sen. Robert
Kennedy to alert him to the crisis. Bobby Kennedy wrote to the DoD. They
complained, but complied with his wishes. LC had to sign a contract about
the rights to receive them. Since that time, LC has copied discs for parties
who have rights to them. For instance, the Hank Williams estate for a
Universal set of about 10 years ago. I also know that years ago collectors
had a "club" to go into the Frankfurt AFRS HQ to take discs in their
respective specialities. They had a map(!) of where stuff was and periodic
missions were rotated among them. The good old days.

Sam