[78-L] Mascagni.

Spats spats47 at ntlworld.com
Mon Dec 8 08:40:32 PST 2008

Hi Mike!

There is no rule that says that a composer can conduct, of-course.

However, on the other hand, Mascagni DID conduct and over a long
period, so he should at least have been capable of setting something
as basic as the correct tempo, methinks. As I remember, his Cav. was
recorded in the early 1940s, when he was already an old man. No?

I think that it was Leoncavallo who 'supervised' in the 1907 version
of Pag. when the real conductor was Carlo Sabajno.

As to Leoncavallo's accompaniment of Caruso on Mattinata, I love that
version. It's just a poorly recorded track. I've never yet heard a
copy in really clean sound and, of-course, they filed down the keys
on the pianos in those days, so the piano sound is awful.

However, in terms of interpretation, I still think that it is the
definitive version.

I almost always prefer conductors and/or performers who try to bring
out what the composer intended, instead of adding something of their
own. OK. You get occasional geniuses who add something wonderful (I
think of Chaliapin, for instance), but these are few and far between.
Usually, the original works best.

As Verdi once wrote to a tenor who wanted permission to add top
Cs...after giving him permission to do so...he suggested that if one
day, the tenor's top C's were not quite so wonderful any more...

'You might try singing it the way I wrote it'.

Remember too Rossini's remark to the young Adelina Patti who had
performed one of his arias to him in private with LOTS of added
decoration....

'That was lovely. Who wrote it?' ;-)

Merry Crimble...

Earl.