[78-L] Stereo copies?

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Fri Dec 5 19:01:57 PST 2008

Martin Fenton wrote:
> Randy Watts wrote:
>
>> The GNP Crescendo FIRST FAMILY was a c. 1980s reissue, if I recall correctly.
>>

> This sounds about right, Randy. I remember seeing a note in Record
> Collector magazine circa 1982/3 that both this and the MCA reissue of
> "You Don't Have To Be Jewish" were coming out around the same time, and
> them querying whether it was a coincidence, given that the recordings
> were issued and re-issued on unconnected labels.
>
> The MCA "Jewish" was mono, but I'm not sure it was recorded in stereo in
> the first place (my US Kapp issue is certainly mono, with no mention of
> a parallel stereo issue on the packaging.)

Actually if you look at the top left of the rear cover and peel away
slightly the rear paper that overlaps the foldover of the front cover,
you will see the stereo word and number.  But the info on the rear cover
says that "This album was recorded LIVE in mono at Fine Recording
Studios" and the date.  Also, Schwann only lists it in mono.   The two
follow-up albums, When You're In Love The Whole World Is Jewish"
Kapp-KRL 4506/KRS-5506 and "The Yiddish Are Coming The Yiddish Are
Coming" Verve V/V6-15058 both note on the rear "This album was recorded
LIVE in mono and stereo in Columbia Recording Studios, New York City"
with the respective dates, and Schwann lists them in both mono and
stereo.  Unfortunately, my copies of all are mono, and I bet I have
passed up stereos.  The stereo numbers are also to be found folded over
underneath the rear slick.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com