[78-L] Vaughn Meader and Sam Goody

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Thu Dec 4 14:47:16 PST 2008

David Weiner wrote:

> Both albums are on one CD from Oldies.com.

The LP reissue was dubbed off of MONO LPs, and probably also the CD.   I
have both LPs in stereo.  The stereo on the first album is minimal
although they show a fine multi-mic set-up in the photos.  The second
album is great in stereo except for the several cuts that were left off
the first album.  When the records were new I NEVER EVER saw a stereo
copy of the first one nor of  My Son the Folk Singer.  And I saw
thousands of copies of each. And I WAS looking for stereo copies.  But
that didn't keep each of them from topping the separate Billboard Stereo
LP chart, going back and forth for four or five weeks.  Indeed in all
the decades of junking and garage sales I have only found one stereo
copy of My Son, three stereos of Family Vol 1 and one of Vol 2.

I've been planning for decades to do a detailed article about these
albums.  I've already done the research but not the writing.  It's quite
a story.

dl (or is it Dl) wrote:
>> That album was such a fast seller that some stores (maybe\
>> only in Canada) were forced to sell the discs without the
>> covers until new ones could be printed up.

It must have only been in Canada.  In my research I found that Archie
Bleyer INSISTED on not allowing ANY copies be sold without a properly
printed cover.  That would invite counterfeiters.  He had execs of the
company FLY to California holding the color separation masters of the
cover in their laps so the West Coast pressing plants could have the
covers printed.  The fly in the ointment was that the Indianapolis RCA
Victor plant couldn't get the pebbled surface paper, and the copies
found with smooth paper are usually from that plant.  (Discs get
switched over the years.)  All three Victor plants, both Columbias, both
Capitols, and three independent plants were used, and very tight
inventory control was exercised.  I do have examples of nine of the ten
pressing plants Vol 1 was pressed in, and two plants for the stereo.
And a British and Canadian pressing of Vol 1.

>>  On Behalf Of Eric Goldberg
>>
>> I was working at Sam Goody's the day that John Kennedy was shot.
>> All copies of the Vaughan Meader album were pulled from the shelf.
>> A couple of days later someone wanted to buy a copy of the record and an
>> eager salesman went into the back room and brought out a copy. When Goody
>> (yes Virginia, there was a Sam Goody) saw the record, he ripped it out of
>> the patron's hand and absolutely refused to sell him the record.

In addition to Sam Goody pulling all copies, Schwann dropped the albums
from the catalog without going thru the Black Diamond stage.  They just
disappeared.

Getting back to Dave Weiner's comments about stereo copies, Goodys would
not stock comedy albums in stereo.  I once got into an argument with two
salesmen at the Paramus Goodys concerning the MGM Borge's Back album.
It has the dual-piano routine he did with Leonard Hambro which I had
just seen on TV, and I realized that it would not make any sense in mono
if you couldn't see it.  They wouldn't even special order it in stereo
for me.  I eventually got a stereo copy as a 59 cent cut-out at Sterns
Paramus about a mile away.  (The guys in that store were strange.  Roy
Evans used to work there and he has some nifty stories to tell.)

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com