[78-L] Sound remaster an restoration/where to start

Mike Richter mrichter at cpl.net
Thu Nov 27 16:09:23 PST 2008

P G C wrote:
> Thanks again, I have a new query then:
>
> Which would be the good parameters of such not lossy format flat file?
> (I only have used Windows PCM Format [I think 16 bits (may be 24) 44100 Stereo]
> Are AIFF o FLAC better foth this porpouse? (not sure if i can have these)

I have never used AIFF, so have no comment to offer. I did a tradeoff
between early versions of FLAC and APE which resulted in my choosing
APE. I have never regretted the choice, though FLAC is somewhat more
popular.

I suggest trying each of them, then speculating on the prospect of
continuing availability and power of each over the period of interest. I
particularly like APE for its integration through plugins with my
preferred player (WinAmp) and editor (Adobe Audition). That its default
compression is slightly higher is hardly significant.

Mike
mrichter at cpl.net
http://www.mrichter.com/