[78-L] That Early 20s Okeh sound

SUPRBATONE at aol.com SUPRBATONE at aol.com
Tue Nov 25 12:04:36 PST 2008

In a message dated 11/25/2008 4:06:28 AM, doctordisc at truesoundtransfers.de
writes:

<<Not quite - Victor continued occasionally recording acoustically until July
25 IIRC, and Columbia made many acoustic sides for its budget "Harmony" label
during several years afterwards. Remember that OKeh recorded in several
locations, probably with portable equipment, which might have made it more
difficult to switch to electric at short notice. Certainly other
internationally-operating companies, like HMV and DGA/Polydor, were still using acoustic in remote
locations (Balcan countries, East Asia) in 1927, two years after their main
studios had gone electric.>>

Thanks for your response, Chris.  I'm familiar with the VJM article, having
helped Steven Lasker with his research for it!  It whetted my appetite for
further information.  To clarify a bit:  When Victor and Columbia went electric,
the transition in their SOUND was abrupt.  It was a sudden jump from the usual
acoustic horn results to the already robust and excellent Western Electric
sound.  As you say, it took a while for all the recording rooms to convert, but
upon each conversion the change in fidelity was decisive.  At OKeh, by contrast
- and I mean only OKeh in New York - there was a VERY gradual change in sound
quality that stretched over several months (4/26 - 1/27). It went from the
already advanced Hibbard acoustic, to a slowly improving early electrical sound,
to the same Western Electric sound as on Columbia.  If you examine a
succession of OKeh popular records, from about 40500 to 40750, there is also a gradual
transition of the physical format of the records - the groove, the info in
the wax, the runout, the label, the pressing, one tiny feature at a time.   OKeh
records from this period are quite scarce compared to earlier and later
issues, but I've accumulated enough of them to note this odd nine-month
metamorphosis.  I just wondered if anybody had any insights or info about that.  -Brad
Kay   -  P.S. - About the ODJB:  I was referring ONLY to Victor 18255, the
initial date supervised by Hibbard.  He went to OKeh not long after, and basically
took that sound with him.  <BR><BR><BR>**************<BR>Check out smokin’ hot
deals on laptops, desktops and more from Dell.  Shop Deals
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1213345834x1200842686/aol?redir=http://ad.doubleclick.ne
t/clk;209513277;31396581;l)</HTML>