[78-L] Mail-a-voice

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sun Nov 23 19:36:13 PST 2008

Okay, people..does anyone know anything about the Brush "Mail-A-Voice" Magnetic
Recorder? This is the one reference I've been able to find..
http://ech.cwru.edu/ech-cgi/article.pl?id=BDC

Today I picked up a nearly complete package of Mail-A-Voice Recording Blanks.
16 of them (there were originally 20 in the envelope)..about ten-inch, thin
paper, shiny black on one side and brownish on the back..very much like paper
tape. The link refers to this device being popular with servicemen during WWII
(so popular I've never heard of it or seen anything related to it, and
presumably any "letters" made on it would require another machine at the
recipient's end to play them back) but the blanks mention Brush as manufacturer
of the Soundmirror, which was post-war.