[78-L] Mail-a-voice

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sun Nov 23 20:24:49 PST 2008

Found out a little more about this:

Brush Mail-A-Voice and the Recordon

A small disk based recording device, broadly similar to a small portable
turntable or a disk cutter but had a magnetic head instead of a
pickup/cutterhead, the recording quality was pretty abysmal. Brush Development
Company started manufacturing the device in 1946 and utilised 9" paper disks
coated with magnetic particles developed by the company in association with 3M
but actually manufactured by Shellmar. The disks and the coating were fairly
rugged and paper was chosen instead of a more durable format because the idea
was that you could mail it directly without packaging and the long term
durability was not a problem since the format was intended for a dictation
recording only (this idea resurfaced with dictation belts), but in the 50's
disks made out of plastics were available. The unit was not a hit but sold
reasonably due to the relatively low price of 40USD which made it one of the
cheapest dictation products that you could buy at the time (there was in fact a
cheaper model available, the 501), it can be seen in operation in at the least
2 Film Noir movies from the early 50, it died out sometime in the 50's
primarily due to the fact that it was difficult to use compared to a tape
recorder but there were also problems with lifetime of the magnetic heads, and
it was a bit primitive, erasing was done by holding a permanent magnet over the
disk. The Mail-A-Voice was manufactured under license by the British company
Thermionic Products as the Recordon.
http://audiotools.com/oldf.html

Mail-A-Voice Disc Recorder
MAIL-A-VOICE. The model BK-503 Mail-A-Voice (Fig. 6-52), manufactured by The
Brush Development Company, represents an entirely different approach to the
problem of storing information on a magnetic medium. The recording material in
this case is in the form of a 9-inch disc, and the sound track is a spiral
running from an inner diameter of 5 inches to the outer edge. The recording
track has a width of 0.014 inch, and the pitch of the spiral is 0.025 inch.
Despite this close spacing, no noticeable crosstalk can be detected. The
powder-coated paper discs can be folded and mailed like an ordinary letter. No
guide grooves are provided on the coated discs. The recording-playback head
is guided on a spiral path along the disc by a stylus located on the tone arm,
which tracks the guide disc. The amplifier, the circuit of which is shown in
Fig. 6-53, covers the voice frequency range only. With a minimum of tubes (two
double triodes), all the necessary functions are performed. No level indicator
is employed. Even with close and loud talking into the microphone, the
distortions are not sufficient to impair intelligibility. Alternating-current
biasing is used in making recordings,
but erasing is effected by d-c saturation of the medium by means of a permanent
magnet. A previous recording is erased by holding this magnet on the disc while
the turntable revolves several times. The turntable rotates 20 r.p.m.,
resulting in a total recording time of slightly over 3 mm. This instrument
deserves special mention because it presently represents the most simple and
basically the most inexpensive mechanical 'rid electrical design for a magnetic
recorder that has been produced commercially. A single crystal headphone is
used both as a recording microphone and as a playback earphone.

The model BK-503 Mail-A-Voice shown in the illustration is intended primarily
for dictation purposes. A solenoid, shown in the underneath view of the
instrument in Fig. 6-54, retracts the driving idler from the turntable rim when
the "stop" switch is opened and simultaneously applies a brake to the
turntable. This stops the turntable so quickly that practically no time is lost
in 'coasting." Another model of the Mail-A-Voice, the BK-501, not shown, is
intended primarily for correspondence and dispenses with the solenoid.
http://history.sandiego.edu/GEN/recording/begun6.html

dl