[78-L] Edison Diamond Disc Enquiry.

Spats spats47 at ntlworld.com
Sat Nov 8 16:17:17 PST 2008

Hi!

As I sit and listen to the fireworks (these days, they sometimes
celebrate 5th November Bonfire Night on the nearest Saturday) I'm off
to New York for about 9 days of shows tomorrow, so I don't know when
I'll receive the answer to these questions, but here they are, anyhow.

I received some Diamond Discs today. Among the operatics, several had
the well known voice of Harry E. Humphrey on the reverse,
'explaining' the musical selection.

(1) Does anyone know much about the possessor of this stentorian
voice and what he had as a 'day job'?

(2) The time gap between the recording of the music and Humphrey's
'explanation' can be as short as a month, but is often up to 8-9
months. Does anyone know anything about the process of issuing
Edison's Diamond discs that would account for the sometimes long gap
between the music recording and the issue of the finished record. I'm
assuming that the 'old man' himself had to give his approval at some
point, but apart from that...

Earl Okin.

PS IF ANYONE NEAR NEW YORK CITY WOULD LIKE TO MEET FOR A COFFEE WHILE
I'M IN NYC, PLEASE LEAVE A MESSAGE AT THE LARCHMONT HOTEL IN
MANHATTAN FROM 9th-18th NOVEMBER. I PROMISE TO RING BACK AS SOON AS I
GET THE MESSAGE.

TEL:  (212) 989-9333

To find out where I'm performing, go here...
There's a gig list...

http://www.myspace.com/earlokin