[78-L] 75rpm v. 78rpm.

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Tue Nov 4 20:06:44 PST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Zwarg" <doctordisc at truesoundtransfers.de>
> Quite true! As classical post-1945 French Columbias are very well settled
> at 78, you never know however if that's not early cases of "sharp"
> mastering, i.e. records *intended* to be played faster than they were
> recorded - a well-known nuisance among 1950's and 1960's pop 45s. The
> sound at 3 to 5 % sharp certainly has a better "cutting edge" which might
> have been an advantage on jukeboxes in noisy barrooms, but still the
> effect is unmusical to these ears especially with female voices (Brenda
> Lee and Connie Francis come to mind, some of whose titles play in-between
> keys at 45 and sound considerably less shrill and piercing if corrected to
> the next lower musical key). I habitually correct it (to the occasional
> dismay of some reissue producers who want the "authentic" sound on their
> CDs).

As I understand it, there was also another reason for this practice!
Remember
that "pop records" of this era were mainly promoted via radio play...and if
disc played 5% fast, it took 5% less time to play it...valuable time, as it
added up, which allowed more time for commercials...which is how radio
stations made money...?! 5% speed-up on a 180-second pop hit gave 9
extra seconds of "ad time"...do this for 3.33 discs and there's another
30-second ad...!

...stevenc