[78-L] 75rpm v. 78rpm.

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Tue Nov 4 20:14:35 PST 2008

Steven C. Barr wrote:
> [...]
I know of a couple of instances where the 45 RPM version of a song was
definitely running faster than the LP, a situation that probably changed when
the single was part of a "Greatest Hits" reissue, but some stations also
deliberately played singles slightly sharp to "brighten" the sound (especially
in comparison with their rivals up the street). CFTR in Toronto was
particularly noted for this in the 70s.

On the other hand, there's a story about singer Dickie Valentine being unable
to hit the high notes on his big hit "The Finger of Suspicion", so they did
some tomfoolery, recording the orchestra track (when this was not standard
practice) and playing it back slower for him to add his vocal, then speeding
the whole thing up for transfer to disc.