[78-L] 75rpm v. 78rpm.

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Tue Nov 4 14:48:52 PST 2008

No question that Piaf's post-war Columbias need to go down about a half tone.
As I recall, that applies to many that were dubbed for North American issue. As
for INTENT, Capitol is said to have dubbed many King Cole 78s (and presumably
others) somewhat sharp. I don't know if this was deliberate, but last year when
I transferred "Sparky's Music Mix-Up" for a CD issue, I found wide variations
in pitch, particularly in the Mendelssohn Violin Concerto segment which was
playing in F Minor instead of E Minor. I couldn't use this as a standard
because not all sides were this far off.

Clara Butt sounds like a baritone no matter what you do to her..

dl