[78-L] 1960s 78s

David Weiner djwein at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 22 09:20:57 PDT 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: 78-l-bounces at klickitat.78online.com
[mailto:78-l-bounces at klickitat.78online.com] On Behalf Of DAVID BURNHAM
Sent: Wednesday, October 22, 2008 4:16 AM
To: 78-L at 78online.com
Subject: [78-L] 1960s 78s

What are the latest 78s sitting in the collections of this list's expert
members? Any bets on the last US 78, the last world 78? I've heard rumors of
a Beatles 78 from India, as late as 1968 -- anyone seen it?

--
Steve.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We've been down this road before.  The most recent 78, mass produced by a
major record label, (AFAIK), was the acoustic 78 produced by EMI of Roberto
Alagna in, (I think), 1997.  I know this isn't what one is looking for when
they speak about the latest 78 rpm record but it does fit all of the
criteria, except that it was vinyl, not shellac, but most 78s from the 50s
weren't shellac either.

db
_________

Yes, the Alagna disc was recorded in 1997. Of course, EMI also produces the
lovely 78s for Historic Masters, which are going strong as we speak.

And for pop 78s, Cruisin' the 50s pressed a reproduction of Cliff Richard's
1958 HMV test recording in 1998 - see here for a photo -
http://www.cool78s.com/Cool_200602.html

Dave W.