[78-L] Bossa Nova etc.

Spats spats47 at ntlworld.com
Wed Oct 22 03:23:56 PDT 2008

Hi Steve!

In my performing life, I specialize in
singing/writing Bossa Nova and have performed in
Brasil several times, including singing with a
drummer called Mutinho, who played for Jobim
himself. Naturally, I made sure that I was there
to see Joao Gilberto perform his very first
concert here in London, literally only a very few
years ago.

I do have quite a few Brazilian 78s, but from the
20s, 30s and 40s, mainly and certainly nothing as
late as Bossa Nova. I do have Joao's early
recordings, however, on these weird modern stuff
called vinyl! ;-)

I have

'Chega De Saudade' (Odeon MOFB 3073).
'O Amor, O Sorriso, E A Flor (Odeon MOFB 3151)
Then simply JOAO GILBERTO ( Odeon MOFB 3202).

The latter lacks its original sleeve and none are in pristine condition.

Then I also have some of these tracks re-issued on World Record Club. T766.

I had no idea that they were valuable!
No doubt, they have to be in really mint
condition to be worth anything, methinks!

Contact me offlist, if you want to take this
discussion further, for most of it has nothing to
do with 78s!

Earl Okin.