[78-L] 1960s 78s

Chris Zwarg doctordisc at truesoundtransfers.de
Wed Oct 22 07:41:05 PDT 2008

At 14:27 22.10.2008, you wrote:
>A friend of mine is still pressing a few vinyl 78s every year from original
>stampers, to be used for cd reissues.

A very young British rockabilly group called "Kitty, Daisy & Lewis" have released a limited edition of their 2008 album as a real ALBUM containing five 10-inch 78rpm records - vinyl and microgroove of course (or rather "universal-groove", they play just as well with my 0.7-mil Ortofon stereo cartridge as with a 2.3-mil Expert elliptical truncated stylus fitted to the good olf Shure M-44), the tracks are mono and were recorded on 1950's studio equipment. Pressings seem to be from the same source as late-1980's "Rough Trade" UK independent-rock LPs, rather heavy and stiff vinyl for modern pressings, in fact more "authentic" looking and feeling than some of the paper-thin Historic Masters 78s made 10 or 15 years ago apparently on Dynaflex-type pressing equipment.

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=26258394&blogID=418843529

Chris Zwarg