[78-L] Raquel Meller. Query.

Harold Aherne leotolstoy_75 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 20 16:29:07 PDT 2008

Raquel Meller (1888-1962) was a Spanish-born singer who had attained popularity
in the cabarets of Paris by 1923. She appeared in London and presumably
other European cities during the 20s and had a major North American tour
in 1926. She also appeared in a number of films, most famously "Carmen"
for Jacques Feyder in 1926 (which apparently survives) and also a Fox Movietone
short subject in 1929 (the status of which I don't know).

At least some of Meller's recordings are listed in Rust-Debus's CED, most
of them on Odeon or Parlophone. I haven't heard a great number of her sides,
but she seems to have a pleasant, sweet voice and an agreeable personality.
She has more in common with Mistinguette than Conchita Supervia, and now
I wish I'd paid more attention in my Spanish classes so I might know
what Raquel is singing about!

-Harold